Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Moes.

Obviously, I can't sleep. It's probably the connection of sleeping in until 12, doing absolutely nothing whenever possible, which is always and drinking too much Vanilla Coke.

Yet this isn't the point of this post. I just spent the last hour or so doing my usual electronics/guitar research and I've established that I'm going to dive into the world of making Pickups for guitars. I've ordered parts, and strap locks for my Gibson because I'm positive that one day I might get too ROWDY and do this:

I don't want my guitar to end up like that. So I spent a good 30 dollars on some fancy strap locks, which is way too much money but whatever. They're gold, which is just gold plated or whatever, it ends up wearing away anyway but looks rad when it's an equal blend of gold & chrome.

To add to that, you guys know those lightning bolt straps that I wear? Yeah, I bought a red one, and will probably end up buying another 2. You know, just to be safe. Oh and a couple of cream jazzmaster covers to use as measurements for making pickups, which of course is kind of the point of this BLOOG.

I've got this whole set up of using my record player to wind pickups. Yeah, set them speeds on 45rpm. I also managed to read up on this awesome way to count the revolutions of the windings, which of course is what I need to know to get some sort of idea in relation to what the pickup will end up sounding like. The process is taking apart a calculator and using the = sign as a continuation of the count. So it works like a simple switch, ie: soldering two wires to the equal button and have them turned on through a switch process probably done by a piece of copper than I'll stick to the side of my turntable. AWESOME, it's like 4th grade science all over again. Well, I'm positive I'm going to have to edit this some what, but so far it looks really promising, especially as a company of sorts. YO PAYPAL.

GREG: I recall you wondering about making your Mustang Bass way louder than it is, and you were wondering about pickups, once I get this all under way I could make you a custom wound humbucker (HAMBUGGERLER as Erik perfers, or something of that frequency) in the shape of a mustang pickup. If that doesn't sound interesting to you, I suggest you look into a booster pedal.

ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE.

Anyway, to make these pickups I need one thing that I'd rather not buy from the guitar parts industry and that is: Plastic. The way pickups are generally made is that they've got a type of plastic shell (which is the cover) and a top and bottom that hold the bobbins (or magnets, depending on the type) inside as well as being a restriction to the wiring that actually makes the magnet work. Some people have already used this idea, so will I because frankly it's a good one (at least for the moment) what I need are cheap plastic cd covers like this:

I really do hope my thoughts on the CD industry failing is true and than none of you actually need these chintzy cases anymore. I remember some of them even being other colors, so if you want a pickup with some weird color on it (which would only be seen if your were using no cover or a transparent cover). Guitar pickups can be used as way more than just GUITAR PICKUPS. Seriously, for instance: USE 'EM IN BASSES, SITARS, HARPS, CHINESE ZITHERS AMONG OTHERS!

Did you know that a Microphone is pretty much just the opposite of a speaker and vice versa?

Pretty cool right? Anyway, speakers, microphones an pickups pretty much have the same general idea to them, a use of magnets and copper wire spun as a coil to be able to either pickup sound or emit sound. So this of course is one of my new projects, too bad I don't have any guitars that I actually want to add pickups to (well, maybe the strat).

If anyone needs any electronic type stuff created, ask me, maybe I'll be able to do it. I'll probably end up posting again because honestly I've got nothing to do and am not tired.

2 comments:

  1. 1. how do you turn a cd case into a pickup case?
    2. can i turn a speaker into a giant microphone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. it'll show you when the copper wire comes in, I bought the wrong slugs as well.
    2. http://www.instructables.com/id/SPKR-MiK--How-to-make-a-microphone-from-a-speaker/

    ReplyDelete