Sunday, February 22, 2009

the students are justified! NYU (was) occupied!

Hello everybody! So I was suspended two days ago for occupying the NYU Kimmel Center with a group of my peers. I can't reveal much more, but you can read about it here: http://www.nyunews.com (Washington Square News, the campus newspaper)
http://www.takebacknyu.com (the group that organized the occupation, as far as I know)

NY Times coverage:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/nyregion/21nyu.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=N.Y.U.&st=cse
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/students-end-nyu-building-takeover/

Various other news outlets in NYC and across the country picked up on the story as well, so feel free to Google the event and see what you find. I can write you guys more about what happened when my judiciary process ends.

I can say, though, that the time I was involved in this was one of the most educational experiences I've ever been through. I learned a lot about protest, rallying, direct action, dealing with press, negotiation, and how the NYU administration works. One highlight: after I was escorted out of the building, I saw an ABC 7 reporter filming a few takes of a teaser in front of the building: "Students wanted to negotiate with NYU, but the school plays hardball. We'll tell you how it ends." hahahaha yes, hardball indeed. Thank you, mainstream media <3

5 comments:

  1. Im excited when you can legit give details about this, sounds like a good learning experience that I would be too cowardly to take part in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a big assed thread discussion about this i found. The site is filled with a large cross section of opinion, mostly snarky and just looking for laughs at others expense but still moderately reasonable. While their topic sort of shifts around It's still mostly interesting stuff to look at.

    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3084633&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

    CHECK 2:08 ON VID!

    ReplyDelete